Sarcoma is a cancer that can be easy to miss. That’s why we’re making many of WA’s buildings and bridges unmissable during this WA Sarcoma Awareness Week.
You’ll find lots of landmarks lit up in the pink and teal of Sock It To Sarcoma!, to shed light on this disease that sneaks up as persistent lumps and pains, often in young people. (Learn more about sarcoma here.)
The landmarks and their dates for lighting up are listed below. To make the most of them, there are two photography competitions you can enter:
- Selfie/Portrait Prize. Get a picture of yourself in front of one of the illuminated landmarks. Share it on Instagram, and make sure you include these four tags: #shinealightonsarcoma2020 #sockittosarcoma #sarcomaawareness @sockittosarcoma
- Architecture Prize. Take your best artistic shot of one of the illuminated landmarks. Share it on Instagram, and make sure you include these four tags: #shinealightonsarcoma2020 #sockittosarcoma #sarcomaawareness @sockittosarcoma
We’ll soon be unveiling the prizes that will go to our two winners! The entries will be judged by Fremantle-based international photographer Graham Miller, whose work has been exhibited from the US to Japan to Germany and all across Australia.
We can’t wait to see what you come up with! Good luck.
SitS! WASAW LIGHTING DATES AND LOCATIONS
|Bell Tower||Thursday 3rd July|
|Broome Water Tower||Monday 29th June – Sunday 5th July|
|Council House, Perth||29th – 30th June, 2nd – 3rd July|
|Elizabeth Quay||Sunday 29th June – Friday 3rd July|
|Gateway Bridge, Airport Drive||Sunday 5th July|
|Geraldton Queens Park Theatre||Monday 29th June – Sunday 5th July|
|Graham farmer Freeway Tunnel||Sunday 5th July|
|Koombana Bridge, Bunbury||Monday 29th June – Sunday 5th July|
|Mandurah Bridge||Saturday 4th July|
|Margaret River Heart Theatre||Monday 29th June – Sunday 5th July|
|Matagarup Bridge||Sunday 5th July|
|Mount Street Bridge||Sunday 5th July|
|Old Mill, South Perth||29th – 30th June, 1st – 5th July|
|Sky Ribbon||Saturday 4th July|
|Trafalgar Bridge, East Perth||29th – 30th June, 2nd – 3rd July|
2019 Winning Photo
Not near the lights but want to support?
Even if you can’t get to see the lights this year, you can still win prizes and raise awareness for SitS! at any time. Just share a photo of yourself at a SitS! event, or wearing your SitS! gear, tag it with #sockittosarcoma, and you could win one of our spot prizes.
Terms and Conditions
- Entries must be tagged with @sockittosarcoma and #sockittosarcoma and #shinealightonsarcoma2020 and #sarcomaawareness to be eligible for a prize.
- The ‘Major’ prize in July for the ‘Selfie’ competition must include a photo of the entrant with one of the buildings, lit up, during the time they are lit for WASAW 2020. See locations and dates below.
- The ‘Major’ prize in July for the ‘Architecture’ competition must include a photo of one of the buildings, lit up, during the time they are lit for WASAW 2020. See locations and dates below.
- You may enter as many times as you like.
- The Major Prizes will be awarded at the end of July 2020.
- Any Australian resident is eligible to enter.
- Entrants under the age of 15 must have a parent’s permission.
- The judge’s decisions are final and will be based on merit.
- Prizes may not be transferred for cash.