FEW people have ever heard of sarcomas – but that number is growing thanks to the work of Sock it to Sarcoma!. Sarcomas are a group of rare bone and soft tissue cancers that are aggressive and often strike children and young people for no apparent reason.
Sock it to Sarcoma! is the vision of Abbie Basson, a Perth woman who, aged 17, had the world at her feet before she was struck down by a sarcoma which eventually took her life. Her wish to create an organisation to raise awareness, fund research and give support to sarcoma patients is the energy driving the Foundation.
After beginning life in 2012 as a partnership with the Hollywood Private Hospital Research Foundation, Sock It To Sarcoma! is now a registered independent charity based in Western Australia.
In 2016, 350 West Australians were diagnosed with sarcomas – yet it remains a relative unknown in the community. Awareness and early detection are vital because at present, two in five sarcoma patients do not survive five years after diagnosis.
Our mission is to bring together researchers, clinicians and the community to provide treatment and give support to sarcoma patients and their families. Ultimately, Sock it to Sarcoma!’s vision is to make all sarcomas curable. Sarcomas can be difficult to diagnose, which can lead to delays in patients receiving life- saving treatment.
Sock it to Sarcoma! raises funds to support medical research in Western Australia, promotes awareness and educates the community about sarcomas.We provide patients and their families support and care throughout every aspect of their sarcoma journey.
Since 2012, Sock it to Sarcoma! has:
- Offered a PhD top–up scholarship annually to encourage young researchers into the field of sarcoma research.
- Funded over $650,000 worth of research grants and support to develop a core of multidisciplinary research expertise in sarcoma in Western Australia.
- Created and holds the annual West Australian Sarcoma Awareness Week.
- Was instrumental in the creation of a specialist clinical nurse in sarcoma through extensive advocacy efforts.
- Supported the state sarcoma clinical team in the development of a state sarcoma service, the only one in Australia.
- Established a gift and assistance program for sarcoma patients and primary carers.
As we receive no government funding, Sock it to Sarcoma! relies on the generosity of the general community. With your help, we can achieve our goal and Sock it to Sarcoma!